Thursday, October 3, 2013

Experimental testing, technology demonstrator for scraperod

I've decided the easiest, quickest way to test the scraperod design is to simply build a mockup. I've incorporated parts for the current prototype design where necessary, and simplified others. This will allow me to reuse parts and materials where possible, reducing prototyping cost -- but also the use of mockup dummy parts will speed up building the demonstrator, and reduce wasted time if it doesn't work.

Parts shown below in Figure 5 are produced from a variety of materials -- those I've colored brown will be wood or MDF, for simplicity's sake. Parts shown in orange are either Al-60xx or 16ga. steel. I picked up some materials today (10/3) from a local metal distributor, which should allow me to build this weekend.


Figure 5: Technology Demonstrator
The exact construction of the scraperod remains a question. I'm currently planning on building the first prototype from 1/4" threaded rod, sheet steel, and bad welds. Depending on how that goes, I might refine the rod-and-weld method, or perhaps redesign the shaft running from the "foot" to the axle to simplify construction.Some kind of set screw design would be quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment