Wednesday, June 4, 2014

0.32, Oh god it's June 5th already

Weeks stretch into months, as usual. With finals week(s) and a vacation afterwards to return to human, I've finally gotten back to work on the project in earnest this week. I've worked out a number of small issues which Dr. Eglash, David, and I identified last semester -- most on paper and a few still in my head. The last outstanding issue, as always, is these cams. I've realized that the leading edge, the highest point on the cam, is extremely critical, as it has to catch -- not slip-- in order to vend.

Guaranteed not to scale

I think I've been shooting myself in the foot with designs incorporating a fillet on that notch. I've redesigned the cam, scaling it up by 7%, reducing the fillet to 1mm, and incorporating an alignment peg system to allow lamination of variable cam width from on-hand material -- I see no reason this wouldn't work as well with lasercut scraps of underutilized, burning plastic from the Accra scrapyards, but that's another project.

 I'll be testing this new design tomorrow, hopefully all will work out well. Apart from a few little things, like moving the hinge to the side and incorporating riveted box design, the system will be essentially set to manufacture -- the next unit made will be a production model from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment